(Molecule Structure Research Center)
ave. 26, Yerevan 375014, Armenia
Tel: (37410) 281764,
Fax: (37410) 282267
of molecular structure by Physical methods.
The Main scientific achievements
Molecule Structure Research Centre (MSRC) was founded
in 1994 according to the resolution of Presidium NASA as a collective using
34 workers, from which 20 are scientific researchers (1 doctor
and 11 candidates of sciences).
Specialization: Research of
molecular structure by Physical Chemistry methods: X-Ray Structural Analysis, NMR-,
IR-, UV-, Mass- Spectroscopy, Chromatography.
The Main Scientific Achievements
- More than 190 publications in peer reviewed journals in last 10 years
- 15 Grants from ISTC, CRDF, INTAS, NFSAT, ANSEF (Total 998 000 U.S.D.)
- The unique method for investigation of processes proceeding in gem-containing proteins has been developed. New metal-containing porphyrine complexes with oxygen, and carbon/nitrogen oxides have been obtained. For the first time the complex of NO2 with the gem-modeling porphyries has been produced. Coordinated oligomers with the microporous structures containing unsaturated metal-ions have been created. They exhibit many useful properties, particularly, selective sorption and allowing the solid-phase filling and storage of gases, for instance, of nitric oxide. On the base of this research, the sensitive sensors of the various gases can be developed.
- Together with chemists the target-oriented search of anti- HIV-1 compounds has been done by revealing the structure-biological activity relationship using X-ray crystallography and theoretical calculations. In particular, by this approach a few compounds of classes 2-aryl- and 2-heteryl- prolynes with antiviral properties had been found. A set of new nonlinear optical monocrystals with unique properties had been produced on the basis of the studied interactions of aminoacids and their derivatives with the various inorganic and organic acids. The dependence of the magnetic properties on structures of new inorganic and semiorganic compounds with giant magnetic resistance has been investigated. These compounds are very attractive for the developers of the memory devices of new generation.
- The method of the spatial structure determination of organic molecules and biomolecules in liquid phase on base of NMR spectroscopy in aligning media has been successfully extended. Specific solute-solvent interactions leading to artifacts and decreasing accuracy and precision of determined structure has been revealed. Methods for taking into account these effects and criteria for right choice of orienting media have been developed.
- The results of these studies obtained in last 5 years were published in 105 manuscripts in peer reviewed journals, 49 from which in USA and Europe, 40 in FSU countries, and 16 in Armenia. 54 presentations had been made on international meetings, more than half in USA and Europe.
Simon Terzian, Former Head of
X-Ray Laboratory (1994-1999), now is in USA
Spectrometry Laboratory (1994-1999), now is in USA
Spectroscopy Laboratory (1994-2000), now is in USA
Spectrometry Laboratory (1994-1999), retaired
Spectroscopy Laboratory (2001-2005), now is in Germany
Last Update: June 22th, 2008
By: Aleksan Shahkhatuni (firstname.lastname@example.org)